BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday 20 April 2012

Food as a social component


There are many ways as a child that we turn to food in a social environment. I have already addressed children's birthday parties, but I thought an entry on the little food related activities we don't always tend to associate as a food experience.


Pocket Money:

For most of us, as soon as we were given our weekly riches that were pocket money, a trip to the newsagents to purchase magazines and sweets ensued. I personally remember spending all of my pocket money on chocolate and pick & mix. As many different varieties and flavours that I could cram into a bag which wouldn't exceed my budget. Crisps and chocolate bars that I was allowed because it was MY money to spend. I had earned that money fair and square, and by no means was I going to spend this opportunity on anything healthy.



Sleepovers:


The sleepover: an important event in any young girl's social calendar. The regular gathering of children at one of their homes, watching a film they'd seen a hundred times, swooning over the leading role, all in pyjamas. And not forgetting...the midnight feast. As a child when my friends and I went to a sleepover,  we would all take a secret stash of food that we could eat once we had been left unattended at bedtime. The excitement of the secrecy made it all the more enjoyable. Couldn't find a picture that showed us eating, but here is a suitably embarrassing photo of one of my sleepovers anyway.


Trips to the cinema/theatre:


I remember being thoroughly excited at the prospect of a trip to see a film or a play as a child. First of all, it was an outing usually in the evening, which made one feel most grown up. Then there was, of course, the anticipation of seeing a film we'd wanted to see for ages, or going to see a pantomime at Christmas. But lastly, I couldn't wait for the standard treats that went hand in hand with a trip like this. Popcorn, chocolates, ice cream, hot dogs, generally all of the foods I would never be allowed to eat on a normal day.



And finally.... a good old fashioned food fight!


Whether being awfully naughty and starting a food fight at school, or at a friends party, it was the least dangerous object to throw at each other, but also the most messy. Here is a video of an organized food fight at a child's 7th birthday party- a slight waste of food, but what fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment